MENU Office of International Services

Funding Requirements

All J-1 Exchange Visitors are required to demonstrate adequate funding for the duration of their program. These minimum funding levels are meant to cover housing, food, etc. and do not cover luxuries or emergencies. You are required to show funding for yourself, and any dependents, at the rate listed in the chart below.


Minimum Living Expense Requirements

Principal visitor alone Principal visitor + spouse Principal visitor + 1 child only Principal visitor + spouse & 1 child For each additional child
$1,900/month $2,460/month $2,460/month $2,885/month $425/month
$22,800/year $29,520/year $29,520/year $34,620/year $5,100/year



Acceptable Proof of Financial Support

We must have appropriate proof of financial support before we issue the Form DS-2019 for your J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. You are permitted to show funding from a single source or from a combination of courses to meet the minimum required amount. This same funding document(s) will need to be shown to the Consulate Officer at the time of your J-1 visa application. Sources of funding may include:

  • UIC Offer Letter. If you are funded by UIC, your offer letter will show your exchange activities while at UIC, UIC appointment title, salary or stipend amount, dates of stay, and any other applicable terms and conditions related to your appointment.
  • Personal or Family Funds. If you will be funded by personal or family funds, submit original/official bank statements or bank letters showing personal savings sufficient to meet the minimum funding requirements. Funds must be liquid assets. We accept savings, various deposits, and checking accounts, however, we may not accept stocks, earnings/salary statements, or other non-liquid assets. These documents must state a specific amount of funds available to you, be signed and/or stamped by a bank official, and must be issued within the past six months.
    • If the documents you submit are in a family member's name (e.g. a parent, guardian, spouse, etc.), then they must be accompanied by an original statement from that person confirming the following:
      • the relationship of that person to you, (Note: A J-2 spouse should not support a J-1 exchange visitor.)
      • the intent of that person to be your sponsor during your stay in the U.S.,
      • the amount and currency,
      • the duration of their support, and
      • if they are currently in the U.S., their citizenship and U.S. immigration status.
  • Government, Foreign Employer, and Other Non-UIC Organizational Funding. Submit an original/official letter on letterhead from the funding source (e.g. employer, funding organization, university, etc.) confirming the items below. Please note that personal earnings or salary statements alone may not be used. Letter items include:
    • the total amount of funding to be provided to you (specify the amount and currency),
    • the dates during which funding will be provided,
    • the signature of a person in the organization who is authorized to guarantee those funds, and
    • the University of Illinois at Chicago must be listed as the scholar's destination.

All documents not in English must be accompanied by an official, verbatim, English translation.

*Updated 4/1/2019